Timeline

1844 23rd May, the Furness Railway Act passed by Parliament, giving the go ahead for the construction of railways in and around Barrow-in-Furness.
1846 11th August, the Furness Railway opens between Barrow-in-Furness, Dalton-in-Furness and Kirkby-in-Furness.
1847 The Kendal and Windermere Railway Company opened a branch line from the new Lancaster and Carlisle Railway (now the “West Coast Mine Line”) at Oxenholme to Windermere (then called Birthwaite).
1854 In April, the Furness Railway is extended from Dalton-in-Furness to Ulverston.
1857 27th August, the line from Ulverston to Carnforth is opened by the separate Ulverston and Lancaster Railway Company.
1862 The Furness Railway expands, buying out the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway, so now one company carries freight and passengers from Lancaster through to Barrow-in-Furness.
1866 22nd November, the Furness Railway decides to build a branch line up the Leven estuary, through Greenodd to Newby-Bridge. The first sod is cut at Haverthwaite by Mr. James Ramsden, General Manager.
1867 Construction of the line commenced to Newby-Bridge.
1869 1st June, the Ulverston (Plumpton Junction) to Newby-Bridge branch line was opened, with a length of 7.9 miles.
1872 The branch has been extended to Lakeside, and the Furness Railway purchases the United Windermere Steam Yacht Company, allowing them to benefit from the growing tourist trade in the area.
1911 Andrew Barclay locomotive 1245 is built and delivered to the Carron Iron Company, Falkirk.
1922 31st December, following the passing of The Government’s Railway Act of 1921, four large nationalised railway companies are created, with the Furness Railway being merged into the London Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway.
1935 The Low Wood gunpowder works closes, reducing the amount of freight on the line.
1938 Dropping passenger numbers force the suspension of the winter train service.
1939 In September, Newby-Bridge Halt is closed.
1941 Suspension of the summer passenger service. Only goods trains now run on the line.
1942 Princess” is built by W.G. Bagnall & Company in Stafford, and delivered to Preston Docks for shunting work.
1946 Summer passenger service reintroduced onto the line.In September, Haverthwaite and Greenodd stations are closed to passengers
1950 Repulse” is built by the Hunslett Engine Company of Leeds, and delivered to Northwester Area of the National Coal Board.Locomotive 42073 is built in Brighton at the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway workshops.”Victor” is built by W. G. Bagnall & Co. for the Steel Company of Wales.
1951 Locomotive 42085 is built in Brighton.
1957 Victor” is sold to the Austin Motor Company and moved to Longbridge in Birmingham.
1958 Diesel locomotive D5301 is built in Birmingham, and delivered to Kings Cross for suburban working.
1965 5th September, the entire Ulverston to Lakeside branch is closed to passenger traffic, remaining only open for freight as far as Haverthwaite (and the Backbarrow Iron works sidings).
1966 The Lakeside Railway Estates Company was formed with the intention of saving the branch and to eventually re-opening it using steam traction.
1967 The Lakeside Railway Society is formed to help support the Lakeside Railway Estates Company.2nd April, the freight service is terminated, following the closure of the Iron Works.May, Diesel locomotive 20214 is built in Newton-le-Willows.

2nd September, the last British Railways “enthusiasts special” train visits Lakeside.

1968 British Railways decides not to let privately run trains into Ulverston station.The Trunk Road Authority announces upgrade plans for the A590 that will sever the railway at Haverthwaite and Greenodd, unless money can be raised to build new bridges. This proves to expensive to achieve, and the Lakeside Railway Estates Company decides to focus its efforts on preserving the Carnforth depot.
1969 On-going lobbying by various parties (including the local MP) to support re-opening of the Line. Despite this, the Lake District Planning Board lodge an objection, and a public enquiry is called.
1970 26th March, the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway Company is formed to continue the purchase of the line.27th May, the British Rail Property Board approves the sale of the line, but a Light Railway order is not issued, so trains cannot be run.October, access is granted to the line, and locomotive and coaches are delivered to the line, while the track is still in place from Ulverston.
1971 June, the track is lifted from Plumpton Junction (east of Ulverston) to Haverthwaite station.Stott Park Bobbin Mill closes, after almost 140 years of operation.
1972 October, and another public enquiry is held to discuss a sole objection to the re-opening of the line. The objection is withdrawn, and a Light Railway Order is granted.
1973 2nd May, the Right Reverend Eric Treacy, Bishop of Wakefield and famous railway photographer, re-opens the line and a seasonal passenger service resumes between Haverthwaite and Lakeside.
1978 British Railways Property Board remove the roof of Lakeside station (which they still owned, along with the Steamers) as it was deemed to be unsafe. Other parts of the station building, including the tower, had previously been demolished between 1965 and 1973.
2008 The railway celebrates its 35th year in preservation.
2010 New shop/office building built at Haverthwaite Station.

Trains running daily

next special event

18
Feb
to
26
Feb
Little Trackers Week

Working with The Lakes Aquarium we are hosting a Little Trackers Week. On purchasing combined tickets, children ...

READ MORE...

7
Apr
to
27
Oct
Pensioner Days

These are every Friday in May, Sept and Oct. Local Pensioners can ride the rails for just £2.80 ...

READ MORE...

Do you live in the LA or CA area?

You can apply for a Local Resident Discount Card, download a form now and start saving! CLICK HERE

£0.000 items