Author Archives: Jon Robinson

GREAT GIFT IDEAS – Gift Voucher

7th March 2013

Can’t think of the perfect gift, one of our gift vouchers is your answer!

 

WEB VOUCHER.jpg2

WEB VOUCHER.jpg3

All vouchers can be personalised with your own wording.

All manner of vouchers can be arranged, from a full day out, starting with our train, then the boat to Bowness followed by a trip round the World of Beatrix Potter, or maybe you would rather a return journey on our train with an All Day Railwayman’s Breakfast or Afternoon Tea in Haverthwaite Station Restaurant.

You choose your requirements and we’ll create the voucher:

On your voucher you could have…

Attractions to choose from…
Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway
Aquarium of the Lakes
Windermere Lake Cruises
Lakeland Motor Museum
The World of Beatrix Potter
 
Other additions to your vouchers could be…
Meal for 2 in Haverthwaite Station Restaurant to the value of £?
All day Railwayman’s Breakfast
Footplate Ride
Afternoon Tea
These are just some idea’s and can be for as many people as you wish. Just give us a call on 015395 31594 and we’ll discuss your thoughts to create someone’s perfect gift.
Terms apply.
 

 

Room Hire

DSCN1567[1]DSCN1568[1]DSCN1569[1]

Room available to hire, in a fantastic location just off the A590.
This light and airy room is currently hired out for school groups, birthday parties and a repeat booking from a local art group.

Could be suitable for a variety of purposes, from business meetings to social events.

If you would like to hire this room or would just like some more information- discuss prices, suitability of the room for your purpose etc

please call, 015395 31594 or email, info@lakesiderailway.co.uk.

On site refreshment service also available.

rachel_1

Rachel

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberRachel
ClassMotor Rail & Tram Car Co.
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0
Built1924, Bedford
Horse Power40hp (Dorman Petrol)
Previous OwnersJames Cropper & Co.
Burneside Paper Mills

History

This locomotive was built in 1924 by the Bedford firm of Motor Rail and Tram Car Co. (later Simplex Mechanical Handling) and delivered to James Cropper & Co. at Burneside Paper Mills near Kendal.

Locomotives of the same design worked on the light railways servicing the Western Front during the Great War or 1914 to 1918.

This particular locomotive, weighing 10 tons and powered by a 40hp Dorman petrol engine was used to transfer wagons between the mill and Burneside Railway Station. It also made a quaint sight trundling along the tramway by the side of the road to Cropper’s other mill at Cowan Head, 1½ miles away.

Named after one of the family firm’s daughters who loved to travel on the engine, Rachel was relegated to standby in 1949, then stored until eventual resale and transfer to Haverthwaite in March 1973.

kl100_1

KL100, Jones Shunting Crane

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberShunting Crane, 10071
ClassJones, KL100
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0DM
Built1952, Letchworth
Horse Power54hp (Doorman)
Previous OwnersMinistry of Supply
Weldit – Barrow

History

The KL100 was delivered in 1952 to the Ministry of Supply and after completion of its military usefulness came to the dockland of Barrow-in-Furness in the service of Weldit Engineering Ltd. from where it was purchased by the L&HR in July 1980.

When fitted with a 40ft jib, it lifts up to 5 tons, reduced to 4 tons if fitted with a 50ft jib. It is now used mainly for permanent way maintenance.

dmu110_1

Diesel Multiple Unit, Class 110 (BRCW)

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberDMBC 52071
DMC 52077
ClassBR Class 110
Wheel ArrangementDMU
Built1961, Birmingham, BRCW Co.
Horse Power2 x 180hp (Rolls Royce)
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

The two-car class 110 diesel multiple unit (DMU) was part of an original fleet of 30 “Calder Valley” units built for British Railways (BR) in 1961 by the Birmingham Railways Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd. (BRCW) – the same builders as another locomotive resident at Haverthwaite, D5301.

Having been built as three-car sets, the unpowered center trailer vehicles were withdrawn in the early 1980s, leaving only the driver car, each of which is equipped with two 180hp Rolls-Royce engines. The “Calder Valley” DMUs were regular performers on many lines on both sides of the Pennines, and were originally allocated to the Eastern and London Midland Regions of BR.

The Lakeside & Haverthwaite set was aquired from Leeds Neville Hill depot, having been made redundant on the introduction of second generation ‘Pacer’ and ‘Sprinter’ DMUs.

d2117_1

D2117, Class 3 (BR)

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberD2117 (No 8)
ClassBR Class 3
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DM
Built1959, Doncaster
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power204hp
Tractive Effort15,650lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

D2117, a 204hp locomotive, weighs 30tons, 16cwts and is powered by a Gardner 8L3 engine, transmitted through a Vulcan-Sinclair fluid coupling to a Wilson-Drewry five-speed epicyclic gearbox; giving a top speed of around 25mph and a tractive effort of 15,650 lbs.

When new it served as a shunter at the South Wales depot of Danygraig (Swansea) and later at Landore, before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1967, where it worked from the North Western depots of Barrow-in-Furness, Workington, Speke Junction, Allerton, Birkenhead and Horwich Locomotive Works.

In May 1970, D2117 was put into store at Springs Branch (Wigan) and reinstated to traffic in August. Soon after its final withdrawal in October 1971, it was purchased for use at Haverthwaite and repainted as L&HR No. 8 whilst at Springs Branch. It travelled under its own power to Ulvertson on the 14th April 1972, completing the remainder of the journey by road.

d2072_1

D2072, Class 3 (BR)

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberD2072 (03072)
ClassBR Class 3
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DM
Built1959, Doncaster
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power204hp
Tractive Effort15,650lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

Designed as a small shunter, the Class 3 fleet comprised some 230 locomotives, built at the British Railways Swindon workshops of the Western Region between 1957 and 1962.
These locomotives were mainly used for light duties at Carriage depots and as station pilots, but with the reduction in need for shunting, most had been withdrawn, scrapped or sold to private buyers by the early 1990’s.

British Railways number 03072 (D2072) was purchased from Darlington Motive Power Depot in September 1981. It belongs to the same class as D2117 and is identical in almost every detail.

20214_1

20214, Class 20 (English Electric)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number20214 (D8314)
ClassBR, Class 20
Wheel ArrangementBo-Bo type 1
Built1967, English Electric Vulcan Foundry
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power1000hp
Tractive Effort42,000lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

The forerunner of a class of 228 units which were known as the Standard Type 1, or subsequently as BR Class 20. Some 128 locomotives were originally built with the early production runs from the Vulcan Foundry, Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire.

Originally delivered to the North Eastern region of BR, 20214 has been based at a number of depots, including Toton in the Midlands, but served finally at Thornaby, from where the locomotive was acquired for use on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, where a major refurbishment project was started.

7120_1

7120, Class 11 (English Electric)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number7120 (AD601)
ClassLMS, Class 11
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DE
Built1945, Derby, English Electric
Driving Wheels4′ 1/2
Horse Power350hp
Tractive Effort33,000lbs
Previous OwnersLMSR British Railways
Royal Corps of Transport

History

Built by the LMSR (London, Midland and Scottish Railway), locomotive number 7120 was one of a batch of 30 locomotives constructed at their Derby works between 1945 and 1948.

Powered by a 350hp English Electric 6KT 4-stroke diesel engine (with 6 cylinders of 10″ bore by 12″ stroke – 254mm by 305mm), this design of locomotive is actually a “diesel-electric”, as the wheels are connected by two axle-hung, nose-suspended, 430V traction motors driven from a generator connected to the engine.

2996_1

2996, ‘Victor’ (Bagnall)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2996, ‘Victor’
ClassBagnall
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1951, Stafford
Driving Wheels4′ 3″
Cylinders18″ by 24″
Tractive Effort25,250lbs
Previous OwnersMr Ormandy (private owner)
Steel Company of Wales (SCOW)
Austin Motor Company

History

Possibly one of the most advanced industrial steam locomotives built in the UK by W. G. Bagnall & Co Ltd, works number 2996 was one of three locomotives ordered by the Steel Company of Wales (SCOW) for their Abbey, Margam and Port Talbot works in 1950.

At SCOW, the locomotive was given running number 403 and, with its two sister engines, performed above and beyond the requirements of its original design. However, in 1957 all three were replaced by diesels and 2996 was sold, with sister 2994, to the Austin Motor Company Ltd. (later to become British Leyland) for use at their Longbridge plant in Birmingham.

At Austin’s, the locomotives were named “Victor” and “Vulcan”, and continued in service until late 1973 when they were sold on to West Somerset Railway and used to kick-start the newly preserved railway’s steam services, with “Victor” hauling the “Directors Special” first train in December 1975, then in 1988 ‘2996’ went to the Strathspey Railway for a time then on to the Great Central Railway (Nottingham section) at Ruddington.

In 2009, “Victor” was privately purchased for use on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway and moved to their locomotive works Haverthwaite, where it currently undergoing a programme of extensive refurbishment and repair. When complete “Victor” will re-enter service again and haul passenger trains along the scenic line to Lakeside.

3698_1

3698, ‘Repulse’ (Hunslett)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number3698, ‘Repulse’
ClassHunslett, Austerity
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1950, Leeds
Driving Wheels4′ 3″
Cylinders18″ by 26″
Tractive Effort23,879lbs
Previous OwnersNational Coal Board

History

Named after the World War II battle cruiser, Repulse had an arduous and adventurous career working for the North Western Area of the National Coal Board.

The locomotive was completely worn out mechanically when withdrawn from service in 1975 at Whitehaven, following closure of the Ladysmith washery and the lifting of the lines between there and the Haig Collery.

The engine was purchased from the scrap merchant just a week before being due to cut at the Ladysmtih site, and delivered to Haverthwaite in August 1976.

The renovation proved to be something of a challenge, but now repaired and equipped with a vacuum brake system, Repulse has proved to be a valuable addition to the locomotive stock.

2682_1

2682, ‘Princess’ (Bagnall)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2682, ‘Princess’
ClassBagnall
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1942, Stafford
Driving Wheels3′ 6″
Cylinders16″ by 24″
Tractive Effort23,879lbs
Previous OwnersPreston Corporation

History

Princess was the prototype of a small class of powerful shunting engines produced by W.G. Bagnall & Co Ltd, of Stafford, capable of developing a tractive effort of 22,382 lbs.

Princess is unusual for an industrial type of locomotive in that it is fitted with steam heating apparatus, the reason for this being it was used for warming the vans of the Geest Company’s bananas imported from the West Indies, the maintenance of correct storage temperatures being critical.

Princess now surprises many people by its prodigious feats of haulage and sustained steaming ability. It performs regularly and economically to the rigorous high season timetable with a five or even six-coach train. Apart from being somewhat “light on its feet” which gives it a tendancy to slip when on greasy rails with a big load, it is a firm favourite with its crews.

2333, ‘David’ (Barclay)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2333, ‘David’
ClassBarclay
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0ST
Built1953, Kilmarnock
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Cylinders16″ by 24″
Tractive Effort19,900lbs
Previous OwnersMillom Ironworks

History

Like locomotive 1245, 2333 was built at the Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. and delivered to the Millom Ironworks on the River Duddon estuary in Cumberland on the 25th January 1953.

After being sold privately for preservation it was sent to Steamtown, Carforth in 1971 where it was nicknamed “David” and steamed regularly at weekends to haul passengers.

On being resold to the Walker family of Millom, it came to Haverthwaite on the 14th March 1978.

David is smaller and lighter than some of the other locomotives, and so is now used for piloting duties and on off-peak service trains.

1245_1

1245 (Barclay)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number1245
ClassAndrew Barclay
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0T
Built1911, Kilmarnock
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Cylinders18″ by 24″
Tractive EffortUnknown
Previous OwnersCarron Iron Company
National Coal Board
Thomas Muir Metal Merchant

History

This locomotive was delivered to the Carron Iron Company, Falkirk and given locomotive number 14, where it worked until 1947. Following this, it was tranferred to the company’s site at Bannockburn to work on the Coke Ovens, and in 1949 its ownership was transferred to the National Coal Boards Bannockburn Colliery, where it continued to work until a major rebuild in 1959 at the Alloa Central Workshops.

It was given the new designation of number 10 and spend the remainder of the 1960s working between the Michael Colliery and Wellesley Colliery in Fife.

In 1972 the locomotive was retired and sold for scrap to Thomas Muir Metal Merchants, who moved it to their Thornton yard in Fife for a short while before being put into longer term storage, with four other Andrew Barclay locomotives, at their yard in Kirkaldy.

For the next 30 years the locomotive was totally neglected, until 2004 when, despite its appearance, it was purchased and moved to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway for restoration. Work was intensive but 19 months later, repainted in an eye-catching Caledonian Blue livery, it steamed to Lakeside for the first time.

42085_1

42085 (BR Fairburn)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number42085
ClassBR Fairburn, 4MT
Wheel Arrangement2-6-4T
Built1951, Brighton
Driving Wheels5′ 9″
Cylinders195/8” by 26″
Tractive Effort24,670lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

42085 was at first allocated to Brighton and later in the same year to Stewarts Lane, just missing 42073 by three months.

In March 1952, just over a year after its building (incidentally with a 1949 boiler), it was transferred to Heaton (Gateshead) and later that same year to Darlington.

Scarborough followed in 1955; Whitby and Manningham in 1956; Whitby again in 1958, York in 1959 and Darlington in 1961.

In 1964 during its last heavy general repair at Crewe works, it was fitted with the repaired boiler from 42105. 1965 saw it leave Darlington for Manningham (in the Leeds area), and its final move to Normington took place in April 1967.

42073_1

42073 (BR Fairburn)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number42073
ClassBR Fairburn, 4MT
Wheel Arrangement2-6-4T
Built1950, Brighton
Driving Wheels5′ 9″
Cylinders195/8” by 26″
Tractive Effort24,670lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

As newly-built, but with a boiler manufactured in 1946, 42073 spent its first three months working from Stewarts Lane Depot, in Battersea, in London’s east end, before moving on to Ashford in Kent in February, 1951.

It was sent to Dover later the same year, then back to Ashford again in 1952. In November 1954 it was transferred to the North Eastern Region and allocated to Gateshead. Probably its most famous moment occurred on the 19th April 1955 at Newcastle-on-Type, when, below the Norman Keep of the castle, it did battle with a Gresley V2 2-6-2 on the diamond crossing.

They converged onto the same stretch of line and in the resulting collision the V2 fell onto its side. In 1957 it worked from Bradford and Sowerby Bridge; in 1958 from York and Neville Hill; in 1959 from Low Moor and Wakefield. At Copley Hill it was to have its longest stay from 1960 to 1964.

In 1965 it was back at Low Moor again, and finally in Normanton in June 1967, where it joined 42085 for the first time.