Category Archives: Diesel Locomotive

rachel_1

Rachel

4th March 2013

[fsg_gallery id=”17″]

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberRachel
ClassMotor Rail & Tram Car Co.
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0
Built1924, Bedford
Horse Power40hp (Dorman Petrol)
Previous OwnersJames Cropper & Co.
Burneside Paper Mills

History

This locomotive was built in 1924 by the Bedford firm of Motor Rail and Tram Car Co. (later Simplex Mechanical Handling) and delivered to James Cropper & Co. at Burneside Paper Mills near Kendal.

Locomotives of the same design worked on the light railways servicing the Western Front during the Great War or 1914 to 1918.

This particular locomotive, weighing 10 tons and powered by a 40hp Dorman petrol engine was used to transfer wagons between the mill and Burneside Railway Station. It also made a quaint sight trundling along the tramway by the side of the road to Cropper’s other mill at Cowan Head, 1½ miles away.

Named after one of the family firm’s daughters who loved to travel on the engine, Rachel was relegated to standby in 1949, then stored until eventual resale and transfer to Haverthwaite in March 1973.

kl100_1

KL100, Jones Shunting Crane

[fsg_gallery id=”16″]

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberShunting Crane, 10071
ClassJones, KL100
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0DM
Built1952, Letchworth
Horse Power54hp (Doorman)
Previous OwnersMinistry of Supply
Weldit – Barrow

History

The KL100 was delivered in 1952 to the Ministry of Supply and after completion of its military usefulness came to the dockland of Barrow-in-Furness in the service of Weldit Engineering Ltd. from where it was purchased by the L&HR in July 1980.

When fitted with a 40ft jib, it lifts up to 5 tons, reduced to 4 tons if fitted with a 50ft jib. It is now used mainly for permanent way maintenance.

dmu110_1

Diesel Multiple Unit, Class 110 (BRCW)

[fsg_gallery id=”15″]

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberDMBC 52071
DMC 52077
ClassBR Class 110
Wheel ArrangementDMU
Built1961, Birmingham, BRCW Co.
Horse Power2 x 180hp (Rolls Royce)
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

The two-car class 110 diesel multiple unit (DMU) was part of an original fleet of 30 “Calder Valley” units built for British Railways (BR) in 1961 by the Birmingham Railways Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd. (BRCW) – the same builders as another locomotive resident at Haverthwaite, D5301.

Having been built as three-car sets, the unpowered center trailer vehicles were withdrawn in the early 1980s, leaving only the driver car, each of which is equipped with two 180hp Rolls-Royce engines. The “Calder Valley” DMUs were regular performers on many lines on both sides of the Pennines, and were originally allocated to the Eastern and London Midland Regions of BR.

The Lakeside & Haverthwaite set was aquired from Leeds Neville Hill depot, having been made redundant on the introduction of second generation ‘Pacer’ and ‘Sprinter’ DMUs.

d2117_1

D2117, Class 3 (BR)

[fsg_gallery id=”12″]

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberD2117 (No 8)
ClassBR Class 3
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DM
Built1959, Doncaster
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power204hp
Tractive Effort15,650lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

D2117, a 204hp locomotive, weighs 30tons, 16cwts and is powered by a Gardner 8L3 engine, transmitted through a Vulcan-Sinclair fluid coupling to a Wilson-Drewry five-speed epicyclic gearbox; giving a top speed of around 25mph and a tractive effort of 15,650 lbs.

When new it served as a shunter at the South Wales depot of Danygraig (Swansea) and later at Landore, before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1967, where it worked from the North Western depots of Barrow-in-Furness, Workington, Speke Junction, Allerton, Birkenhead and Horwich Locomotive Works.

In May 1970, D2117 was put into store at Springs Branch (Wigan) and reinstated to traffic in August. Soon after its final withdrawal in October 1971, it was purchased for use at Haverthwaite and repainted as L&HR No. 8 whilst at Springs Branch. It travelled under its own power to Ulvertson on the 14th April 1972, completing the remainder of the journey by road.

d2072_1

D2072, Class 3 (BR)

[fsg_gallery id=”11″]

Facts & Figures

Name & NumberD2072 (03072)
ClassBR Class 3
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DM
Built1959, Doncaster
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power204hp
Tractive Effort15,650lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

Designed as a small shunter, the Class 3 fleet comprised some 230 locomotives, built at the British Railways Swindon workshops of the Western Region between 1957 and 1962.
These locomotives were mainly used for light duties at Carriage depots and as station pilots, but with the reduction in need for shunting, most had been withdrawn, scrapped or sold to private buyers by the early 1990’s.

British Railways number 03072 (D2072) was purchased from Darlington Motive Power Depot in September 1981. It belongs to the same class as D2117 and is identical in almost every detail.

20214_1

20214, Class 20 (English Electric)

[fsg_gallery id=”10″]

Facts & Figures

Name & Number20214 (D8314)
ClassBR, Class 20
Wheel ArrangementBo-Bo type 1
Built1967, English Electric Vulcan Foundry
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Horse Power1000hp
Tractive Effort42,000lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

The forerunner of a class of 228 units which were known as the Standard Type 1, or subsequently as BR Class 20. Some 128 locomotives were originally built with the early production runs from the Vulcan Foundry, Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire.

Originally delivered to the North Eastern region of BR, 20214 has been based at a number of depots, including Toton in the Midlands, but served finally at Thornaby, from where the locomotive was acquired for use on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, where a major refurbishment project was started.

7120_1

7120, Class 11 (English Electric)

[fsg_gallery id=”9″]

Facts & Figures

Name & Number7120 (AD601)
ClassLMS, Class 11
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0DE
Built1945, Derby, English Electric
Driving Wheels4′ 1/2
Horse Power350hp
Tractive Effort33,000lbs
Previous OwnersLMSR British Railways
Royal Corps of Transport

History

Built by the LMSR (London, Midland and Scottish Railway), locomotive number 7120 was one of a batch of 30 locomotives constructed at their Derby works between 1945 and 1948.

Powered by a 350hp English Electric 6KT 4-stroke diesel engine (with 6 cylinders of 10″ bore by 12″ stroke – 254mm by 305mm), this design of locomotive is actually a “diesel-electric”, as the wheels are connected by two axle-hung, nose-suspended, 430V traction motors driven from a generator connected to the engine.

Good-To-Go Visit England
0

Your Cart