Category Archives: Steam Locomotive

2996_1

2996, ‘Victor’ (Bagnall)

4th March 2013

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2996, ‘Victor’
ClassBagnall
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1951, Stafford
Driving Wheels4′ 3″
Cylinders18″ by 24″
Tractive Effort25,250lbs
Previous OwnersMr Ormandy (private owner)
Steel Company of Wales (SCOW)
Austin Motor Company

History

Possibly one of the most advanced industrial steam locomotives built in the UK by W. G. Bagnall & Co Ltd, works number 2996 was one of three locomotives ordered by the Steel Company of Wales (SCOW) for their Abbey, Margam and Port Talbot works in 1950.

At SCOW, the locomotive was given running number 403 and, with its two sister engines, performed above and beyond the requirements of its original design. However, in 1957 all three were replaced by diesels and 2996 was sold, with sister 2994, to the Austin Motor Company Ltd. (later to become British Leyland) for use at their Longbridge plant in Birmingham.

At Austin’s, the locomotives were named “Victor” and “Vulcan”, and continued in service until late 1973 when they were sold on to West Somerset Railway and used to kick-start the newly preserved railway’s steam services, with “Victor” hauling the “Directors Special” first train in December 1975, then in 1988 ‘2996’ went to the Strathspey Railway for a time then on to the Great Central Railway (Nottingham section) at Ruddington.

In 2009, “Victor” was privately purchased for use on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway where it underwent extensive restoration.  It is now regularly in service.

3698_1

3698, ‘Repulse’ (Hunslett)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number3698, ‘Repulse’
ClassHunslett, Austerity
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1950, Leeds
Driving Wheels4′ 3″
Cylinders18″ by 26″
Tractive Effort23,879lbs
Previous OwnersNational Coal Board

History

Named after the World War II battle cruiser, Repulse had an arduous and adventurous career working for the North Western Area of the National Coal Board.

The locomotive was completely worn out mechanically when withdrawn from service in 1975 at Whitehaven, following closure of the Ladysmith washery and the lifting of the lines between there and the Haig Collery.

The engine was purchased from the scrap merchant just a week before being due to cut at the Ladysmtih site, and delivered to Haverthwaite in August 1976.

The renovation proved to be something of a challenge, but now repaired and equipped with a vacuum brake system, Repulse has proved to be a valuable addition to the locomotive stock.

2682_1

2682, ‘Princess’ (Bagnall)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2682, ‘Princess’
ClassBagnall
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0ST
Built1942, Stafford
Driving Wheels3′ 6″
Cylinders16″ by 24″
Tractive Effort23,879lbs
Previous OwnersPreston Corporation

History

Princess was the prototype of a small class of powerful shunting engines produced by W.G. Bagnall & Co Ltd, of Stafford, capable of developing a tractive effort of 22,382 lbs.

Princess is unusual for an industrial type of locomotive in that it is fitted with steam heating apparatus, the reason for this being it was used for warming the vans of the Geest Company’s bananas imported from the West Indies, the maintenance of correct storage temperatures being critical.

Princess now surprises many people by its prodigious feats of haulage and sustained steaming ability. It performs regularly and economically to the rigorous high season timetable with a five or even six-coach train. Apart from being somewhat “light on its feet” which gives it a tendancy to slip when on greasy rails with a big load, it is a firm favourite with its crews.

2333, ‘David’ (Barclay)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number2333, ‘David’
ClassBarclay
Wheel Arrangement0-4-0ST
Built1953, Kilmarnock
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Cylinders16″ by 24″
Tractive Effort19,900lbs
Previous OwnersMillom Ironworks

History

Like locomotive 1245, 2333 was built at the Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. and delivered to the Millom Ironworks on the River Duddon estuary in Cumberland on the 25th January 1953.

After being sold privately for preservation it was sent to Steamtown, Carforth in 1971 where it was nicknamed “David” and steamed regularly at weekends to haul passengers.

On being resold to the Walker family of Millom, it came to Haverthwaite on the 14th March 1978.

David is smaller and lighter than some of the other locomotives, and so is now used for piloting duties and on off-peak service trains.

1245_1

1245 (Barclay)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number1245
ClassAndrew Barclay
Wheel Arrangement0-6-0T
Built1911, Kilmarnock
Driving Wheels3′ 7″
Cylinders18″ by 24″
Tractive EffortUnknown
Previous OwnersCarron Iron Company
National Coal Board
Thomas Muir Metal Merchant

History

This locomotive was delivered to the Carron Iron Company, Falkirk and given locomotive number 14, where it worked until 1947. Following this, it was tranferred to the company’s site at Bannockburn to work on the Coke Ovens, and in 1949 its ownership was transferred to the National Coal Boards Bannockburn Colliery, where it continued to work until a major rebuild in 1959 at the Alloa Central Workshops.

It was given the new designation of number 10 and spend the remainder of the 1960s working between the Michael Colliery and Wellesley Colliery in Fife.

In 1972 the locomotive was retired and sold for scrap to Thomas Muir Metal Merchants, who moved it to their Thornton yard in Fife for a short while before being put into longer term storage, with four other Andrew Barclay locomotives, at their yard in Kirkaldy.

For the next 30 years the locomotive was totally neglected, until 2004 when, despite its appearance, it was purchased and moved to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway for restoration. Work was intensive but 19 months later, repainted in an eye-catching Caledonian Blue livery, it steamed to Lakeside for the first time.

42085_1

42085 (BR Fairburn)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number42085
ClassBR Fairburn, 4MT
Wheel Arrangement2-6-4T
Built1951, Brighton
Driving Wheels5′ 9″
Cylinders195/8” by 26″
Tractive Effort24,670lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

42085 was at first allocated to Brighton and later in the same year to Stewarts Lane, just missing 42073 by three months.

In March 1952, just over a year after its building (incidentally with a 1949 boiler), it was transferred to Heaton (Gateshead) and later that same year to Darlington.

Scarborough followed in 1955; Whitby and Manningham in 1956; Whitby again in 1958, York in 1959 and Darlington in 1961.

In 1964 during its last heavy general repair at Crewe works, it was fitted with the repaired boiler from 42105. 1965 saw it leave Darlington for Manningham (in the Leeds area), and its final move to Normington took place in April 1967.

42073_1

42073 (BR Fairburn)

Facts & Figures

Name & Number42073
ClassBR Fairburn, 4MT
Wheel Arrangement2-6-4T
Built1950, Brighton
Driving Wheels5′ 9″
Cylinders195/8” by 26″
Tractive Effort24,670lbs
Previous OwnersBritish Railways

History

As newly-built, but with a boiler manufactured in 1946, 42073 spent its first three months working from Stewarts Lane Depot, in Battersea, in London’s east end, before moving on to Ashford in Kent in February, 1951.

It was sent to Dover later the same year, then back to Ashford again in 1952. In November 1954 it was transferred to the North Eastern Region and allocated to Gateshead. Probably its most famous moment occurred on the 19th April 1955 at Newcastle-on-Type, when, below the Norman Keep of the castle, it did battle with a Gresley V2 2-6-2 on the diamond crossing.

They converged onto the same stretch of line and in the resulting collision the V2 fell onto its side. In 1957 it worked from Bradford and Sowerby Bridge; in 1958 from York and Neville Hill; in 1959 from Low Moor and Wakefield. At Copley Hill it was to have its longest stay from 1960 to 1964.

In 1965 it was back at Low Moor again, and finally in Normanton in June 1967, where it joined 42085 for the first time.

Good-To-Go Visit England